[gst-devel] documentation - request

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Jan 28 00:21:06 CET 2004

Hi,

as said, I'm working on getting our documentation up-to-date. the Plugin
Writer's Guide (PWG) is getting pretty neat right now, most parts
already finished; some parts remain undocumented, however, because I
don't know much about them. These are:

* MIDI (advanced_midi.xml)
* clocking (advanced_clocking.xml)
* element checklist (appendix_checklist.xml)
* python (appendix_python.xml)

Could the experts (e.g. Leif @ MIDI, Benjamin @ clocking, Dave S. @
element checklist, Dave L. @ python) please write some documentation in
gstreamer/docs/pwg/<file> about the given subject? Read some of the
other pages to get an idea what should be in there. I personally feel
you can go pretty deep, but make sure that you don't expect too much
prior knowledge on that specific subject from your audience.
For MIDI, you should probably explain what data is expected in buffers,
how elements communicate with this, what MIDI is, etc. For clocking,
explain why it is important and how elements should implement it. For
the element checklist, simply make a list of notes that elements should
fulfill (I know Dave has such a list somewhere, but forgot where). For
Python, give a short intro (sample code or so) for PyGst plus linkes to
the right website. Maybe some pointers (plus rename of the page) to
other bindings (perl, c++/qt, ruby, c#, ...), too? I don't really know
why this should be specifically in the PWG, but it's there so I'm sure
it has a purpose...

I'd also appreciate feedback on what I've written so far, but I'll
bother you with that once a first draft is complete and online. If I
find inspiration, I might work on the Application Developer's Manual,
too.

Thanks,

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer