[gst-devel] Audio Streaming Project for Radio station in Canada

Jason Moore jason at jasonmoore.net
Fri Jan 30 12:37:02 CET 2004

Hi all! :)

    I'm new here.  I'm wondering if I can steel a little time from
everyone.  I'm working on a project here in Canada for a Christian Radio
station (Life 100.3) in Barrie, Ontario.  The project involves sending
the studio feed (main broadcast) to 3 locations via digital links which
will be frame relay or VPN over the internet where it will be used to
feed the main transmitter and two remote transmitters.  I need to
sustain 128Kps+ at 44Khz audio using MP3 compression per site.  This is
easily done using streammers like Shoutcast and such but there is a
little catch(always is).  I'm just wondering if Gstreamer would be a
good choice to do the following:

Using Linux on all computers, perfer not to have a GUI running and if so
KDE would be my first choice
Need to provide reliable stream 24/7
If the stream fails at one of the remote sites, switch back to an off
air receiver (second audio source) at the site
If the stream and off air receiver are dead, then the computer needs to
play a list of sound files stored on the HD (actually memory location)
which is updated via RSYNC or something like that.
Monitor the stream for errors and audio problems at the client ends
which is basically if there is a lot of bad packet loss or very low
volume level (no auido) then switch to a better source
Have the computer try to always go back to the streamed feed as priority.

    Do you think that Gstream is easy enough to use in the project?  I'm
a little rusty on the C programming but I'm going to give it a go.
Information will come back into the noddle once I get back into it.  I
guess the biggest challenge is to be able to detect if the audio stream
is good or bad and the volume levels are within reason.

Any information would be great.

Thanks,

Jason Moore