[gst-devel] documentation wiki

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Thu Jul 15 18:49:06 CEST 2004

I know that I'm not the only one that has moaned about the static
nature of our docs.  PHP and Mono both have collaborative docs, and
both are doing well out of it.  So today, I decided to try and do
something about it and create a wiki.  I have imported most of the
Application Developers Manual into the wiki, and as a bonus I
proof-read and corrected the easy "bugs" with the Application
Developers Manual.

The wiki is currently at http://zaheer.merali.org/mediawiki/

I offer to maintain changes to our docs (wiki <==> CVS) for the period
of a month.  After which, we can see if the wiki is worthwile.

I propose not to import API docs in, as they would require too much man
power to keep in sync.  In my opininion, the way to do collaborative
API docs is to have like the php guys, generated docs from gtkdoc
acting as static content templates for a dynamic commenting system.

The documentation is not as good as it should be, and maybe with easier
editing accessibility, people can contribute docs, code snippets etc.

Take Care

Zaheer