[gst-devel] caps nego

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Jul 16 12:14:07 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:18:28AM +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 19:46, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 16:22, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> >
> > > However, this is a very simple pipeline example that should be fairly
> > > trivial to fixate.  If our system can't negotiate it correctly, I'd say
> > > it's a flaw in our system.
> > >
> > It is fixated correctly. It's just not fixated ideally. The definition of
> > ideally however has been up for discussion for quite a long time.
> > The only thing we know right now is that the current mess doesn't fixate
> > ideally.
>
> I'm not really interested in global pipeline optimisation with
> end-to-end optimal formats.

You quite clearly are.  Negotiation _always_ comes up with a
workable format, else it throws an error.  (Alternatively, some
of the elements involved may be buggy.)

> Just something that runs, where each element
> is able to find a format it can use to talk to the next element.

This is what happens.  16x16 at 1 fps _IS_ a workable format,
because all elements involved support it.  If the core doesn't
magically come up with your preferred format, _you_ need to
do something about it, not the core.  The currently format
optimization code is very simplistic, and thus is wrong a lot.

dave...