[gst-devel] documentation wiki

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Jul 19 04:02:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

> YES, thats cool. I would like to see this integrated the main gstreamer website
> for several reasons.
> 1.) use it for the manuags (gstreamer-manual, pwg, faq)

Yeah, could be good, let's first see how it pans out.  I'm tired of
sticking stuff in the website that bitrots because people lose interest
:)

> 2.) use it for other pages like tasks

tasks should be maintained better than they currently are.  They require
someone to do the research so that a task is clearly outlined. Wikis are
bad for this.  The tasks should IMO stay where they are.

> 3.) add a set of subpages ('gstreamer feature kitchen') where developers can
> form discussion subgroups.

We've done this before, didn't really work out for that.  Not sure if
it's worth (yet) trying that again.

> Zaheer: is there a lot of manual work included in committing the changes back to
> cvs and updating the wiki content from cvs? or can it be automated so that one
> only needs to review the changes in the wiki before commiting them?

The wiki is SQL-only.  Which is why it would make sense to keep it on
Zaheer's site until he is happy with this experiment.  We still need
someone to commit to doing the work after the initial trial run of one
month Zaheer stated.

Thomas

and it looks so pretty
all those tiny bright lights