[gst-devel] GStreamer friendly hardware?

Darren Blaser darrenb at extendedsystems.com
Tue Jul 20 04:10:08 CEST 2004

I'm considering ordering a new PC (or at least all the parts for a new
PC) this weekend and gstreamer compatibility is pretty high on my want
list so I thought I'd ask for hardware recommendations especially with
regard to which video card to choose. Is there any hardware that is in
practice more gstreamer friendly? The main requirements I have are just
that it is quiet and has decent VIVO (video in/video out) capabilities.

If I was going to buy a prebuilt system I'd likely get something like this:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/quietamdpc.html?id=BnYVqPM8
Which has the bonus of an option to have Fedora preloaded...

But, in reality I'm probably more likely to build my own water cooled
system with similar components to what is shown in the system above.

The video card is the piece that I'm really unsure where to go with...
Nivida or ATI?
combined TV tuner or use a separate TV tuner card?
get the latest and greatest or save some money and get something a bit
older that the linux drivers have had a chance to catch up with?

I do plan to play some Doom3 so the more power the better, but I
normally buy stuff that's one or two notches down from the top to get a
bit better price/performance curve. Also, even though I enjoy gaming
that's somewhat of a secondary use for this PC but I would really like
to have a machine that I can use for some home video editing. So being
able to record video from component inputs is a must in either a
separate tuner card or a combo video tuner card?

ATI's All In Wonder series seems like it may be a natural fit but I'm
not really sure about it's linux support. But then getting a seperate
tunner card would perhaps be more flexible... What hardware are
gstreamer folks working on and happy with when it comes to video recording?

Finally, I've always bee a CRT man before but I'm considering going flat
panel... any thoughts pro or con?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?category_id=5170&k=&mnf=&brandid=&prst=&prEnd=&sku=320-2876&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Page=productlisting.aspx&spagenum=1&Pageb4Search=&InStock=&items_per_page=25&orderby=&mnfname=&brand=&SubmitSearch=&image_flag=True&refurbished=&c=us&l=en&cs=19&iCompatid=

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and or tips.