[gst-devel] multifilesink and proposal to merge it with filesink

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Thu Jul 22 12:51:05 CEST 2004

Hi

I just committed multifilesink into gst-plugins.  multifilesink is a
serial filesink, which creates new files for every time there is a new
media discontinuity event.  It operates in 2 possible ways, if the
location argument has a %d, it will replace the %d with an index
starting from 0.

Also the application can attach to the signal "newfile", and in the
signal handler the app can set the location for the next file.

My proposal is to merge this with filesink and multifilesrc with
filesrc.  The multi part of multifilesink does not get activated unless
a new media discont is received (after the initial one) so would not
break filesink's normal operation.  Therefore if both
multifilesink/filesink and multifilesrc/filesrc are merged, the only
multi plugin for files is multifdsink and that is a parallel plugin
(writes to multiple fd's simultaneously).  Of course for backward
compatibility we would need to leave multifilesrc for the 0.8.x series
but it can be removed when we start 0.9.

I also plan to in the next couple of days fix plugins that dont handle
new media discontinues like they ought to.

So please give feedback on proposed merger of plugins.

Take Care

Zaheer Abbas