[gst-devel] Medical imaging

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Sun Jun 13 03:28:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 16:19, Amadeus W. Mozart wrote:
> Sorry if this gets posted twice, I tried to ask it via gmane, but
> for some reason it didn't show up, so I'll ask the question again.
>
> I have some medical clips and I have to do some image segmentation
> and other processing on each individual frame. Usually the clips
> are in quicktime format, and the frames within are jpeg.
> So I need to read the clip from the disk, access each of its frames,
> do my processing and then display the frames. My processing may not
> be real time, but that's not a major concern for now. I can just
> dump the output to a file, and display it afterwards.
>
> I'm new to gstreamer, and after reading what it can do and trying
> out some of the examples, I liked the idea, but I don't know very
> well how to go about it. In particular, how do I "steal" (or access)
> the individual frames from the clip?
I don't know enough myself to answer this question. Think we have some
plugins that might be usefull for this but hopefully someone else on the
list can give you the details. If not you come to the #gstreamer channel
on irc.freenode.net I think you could try talking to 'bilboed'. He is
using GStreamer to make a non-linear video editor so he should have some
input on how to extract single frames.

> The only video pipeline that I was able to get working so far was
>
> gst-launch videotestsrc ! sdlvideosink
My guess is that your other pipelines need a colorspace plugin at least
to work. 'ffcolorspace' is the one most of us use. You can check which
ones you have with gst-inspect|grep colorspace.

> Is what I want to do possible with gstreamer? Could someone please
> help? Thanks!
Yes, it can be done :) In my view it looks like what you want is a small
subsett of a non-linear editor, so maybe you can even use the one
bilboed is making.

Christian