[gst-devel] building an AC3 decoder...

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Sun Jun 13 19:15:01 CEST 2004

<quote who="Darrell Berry">
> a) has anyone already done the hard work of building a gstreamer-based
> patch which takes AC3 in and rects it out to 6 (5.1) or more (7.2?)
> discrete channels on a multi-port audio card using Jack?

There's the a52dec element, which decodes ac3 using liba52. At the moment
though, it only decodes to a stereo signal. We're still finalising how
we're going to handle 5.1 channel sound "on the wire", so it hasn't been
enabled yet.

> b) is it possible on linux to get low enough latency that doing the above
> is bearable in conjunction with a dvd player doing its own video
> processing? obviously there' slittle point exploring the ac3 side of
> things, if there's no way to get latency down to a few milliseconds!

That depends on your hardware - I don't have trouble here with keeping a DVD
player running at full speed.

We're not currently focused on latency issues, though. One of the other
devels can probably comment further on their plans for that.

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

The woman you buy -- and she is the least expensive -- takes a great
deal of money. The woman who gives herself takes all your time. - Balzac