[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/ext/lame/ gst-plugins/ext/mad/

Marc VanDaele Marc_VanDaele at Jabil.com
Tue Jun 15 00:02:06 CEST 2004

Hello,

Some notes:
- There *is* a difference between mpeg-2 AAC and mpeg-4 AAC; don't know the
details though but IIRC, some is related to bit-alignment or byte-alignment
of audio-frames.
- Mpeg-4 audio can also be Celp (so mpegversion=4 does not imply AAC)
- Another difference between mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 audio is that mpeg-2 can be
multichannel (which almost nobody uses except for Philips on some
test/compliance DVD's).  If this is decoded by an mpeg-1 decoder, only the
BC (Backward compatible) part of it gets decoded, so you will get only 2
channels.  So, IMO, mpeg-2 audio *does* exist, although it is backward
compatible to mpeg-1

Hope this helps,

Marc