[gst-devel] no elements or plugins work

John Russell drjimmy42 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 18:51:02 CEST 2004

I was playing with some of the cvs versions of gstreamer with rhythmbox
and seem to have screwed something up royally.  I have removed anything
I could find of the old cvs version and used the gentoo ebuild (which
always worked before) to reinstall the standard  version (0.8.1) Still,
no gstreamer application works.  trying gst-launch gets things like this.

gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location="Anton Bruckner - 01 Maestoso.mp3" ! mad
! alsasink

** (process:8117): WARNING **: no element "alsasink"
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "mad"
         Trying to run anyway.
RUNNING pipeline ...
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to play.

gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location="Anton Bruckner - 01 Maestoso.mp3" ! mad
! osssink

** (process:8125): WARNING **: no element "osssink"
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "mad"
         Trying to run anyway.
RUNNING pipeline ...
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to play.

When I run gst-register-0.8, all the regular plugins fly by followed by

rebuilding user_registry (/home/jorussel/.gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml)
loaded 90 plugins with 165 features

but the only thing in ~/.gstreamer-0.8/registery.xml is this

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<GST-PluginRegistry>
<gst-plugin-paths>
</gst-plugin-paths>
</GST-PluginRegistry>

Has anyone seen this before and/or know what is going on?  Thanks for
the help.

John