[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/ext/lame/ gst-plugins/ext/mad/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Jun 22 01:21:14 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 00:49, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [remove cvs from CC]
>
> You're using Fraunhofer's marketing methods as a starting point, I used
> technical compliance and compatibility as a starting point when coming up
> with those properties.

*sigh* Don't overanalyze.  The only thing that could be considered
"Fraunhofer marketing method" is MPEG 2.5
MPEG 1 and MPEG 2 are official standards.

Besides, you still haven't answered to any of the questions I asked.
Specifically, you haven't made it any single bit clearer on what your
intended use was with mpegversion.  I checked your mimetypes document
before I posted the first time and all it said was that MPEG 1 layer
1/2/3 should be marked with mpegversion 4, and MPEG 4 audio should be
marked with mpegversion 4.  Both of which I agree with, but they don't
say what to do with "audio that has been marketed as being MPEG 2.5" and
it doesn't say anything about mpeg audio at 16 khz which can only be
MPEG 2 or higher.

So *please* stop beating around the bush, tell me what the idea was,
then we can see about how to make sure that your idea is expressed
nicely and without confusion.  Your failure to explain it correctly
makes it clear the property name is badly chosen.

Thomas

If you want love
we'll make it