[gst-devel] Hi all, and a question

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Jun 22 06:20:10 CEST 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Giuliano Pochini wrote:

> The first warning is an incorrect entry in the registry. The second and the
> third are printed by "gst_init(&argc, &argv);". I don't know why, but I
> don't think they are the cause of the problem. Any hint ?
>
> I'm using the latest version of everything (not CVS) on a Pmac G4, gcc 3.3.3.

The other warnings are related to the first warning. This leads to the
matroska plugin not being loaded. I dunno why your playback fails, but it
looks like a somehow broken ogg file. Does this happen with all ogg files?

> Another little thing: cpu usage seems pretty high: ~1.2% playing mp3's and
> flac's, and with mp3's it's even worse. Is it normal ?  With xmms cpu usage
> is under 0.1%.

GStreamer uses mad for decoding mp3s, xmms uses a different mp3 decoder (
I think mpg123 or similar). This might be the reason. You could try
madplay to know exactly.
But feel free to profile our code, nobody has done it yet, especially not
in the <2% CPU usage cases.

Benjamin