[gst-devel] spider restart

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Mon Jun 28 07:51:11 CEST 2004

On 28-Jun-2004 Johan Dahlin wrote:
> lör 2004-06-26 klockan 12.04 skrev Ronald S. Bultje:
>> On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 17:33, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
>> > Once I used a pipeline with a spider, I cannot use the same pipeline for
>> > processing a file of a different format. If eg. I played an mp3, the
>> > pipeline cannot play anything other than mp3's. I also tried to detach,
>> > unref and make another spider without success.
>>
>> Known issue, planned for fixage in 0.9.x. See libgstplay: create a new
>> spider for each file.
>
> Well, nobody's stopping you (or anyone else) from writing a working
> autoplugger for 0.8 right?

Yes, but I have no time.  I want to use gstreamer as an user, without
caring too much about its internals and its development. My project
is an audio CD player that supports at least all free file formats.
I'll buy and EPIA motherboard and a hi-end sound card for that. Once
the cd player software will work fine, I'll start developing a plugin
to apply some effects and I will learn enough to be able to help
hunting bugs. I don't want to spend time for gstreamer itself right
now because my project is going on slow enough.

I'm currently stuck with these major problems:

- Spider reusability (ok, I'll look at libgstplay).
- Seeking.
- Random audio skips with alsasink (I'm trying to narrow
this down before filing a bug report because it's strange.
Alsasink sometimes stops the substream, sets again the
hw_params and restarts the substream. Perhaps is it an
incorrect out-of-data condition detection ?).

--
Giuliano.