[gst-devel] Ogg, Spider, and Volume not working together

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 4 09:36:04 CET 2004

I upgraded to 0.7.5 and then again to CVS HEAD, but noticed a tremendous
amount of static when trying to play any ogg files with rhythmbox.  You
can faintly hear the sound, but it's primarily static.  This occurs with
all ogg files, and with rhythmbox 0.6.7, 0.7.0, and the latest arch revision.

Looking through the rhythmbox source, I noticed that it sends the stream
through spider and volume before going to the sink.  Experimenting on
the command line, I was able to reproduce the static with the following:

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! volume ! osssink

Same results with static when I use alsasink or esdsink at the end.

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! osssink

also produces static, but using alsasink or esdsink at the end sounds
perfectly fine.

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! vorbisfile ! volume ! osssink

is also fine, along with any other output sink.  Also fine without volume.

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! oggdemux ! vorbisdec ! alsasink

is also fine.  No sound if I use osssink, though, with lots of errors of
the type:
(process:29366): GStreamer-WARNING **: push on peer of pad vorbisdec0:src but peer is not active

Trying to put volume in that path after vorbisdec produces an error:
** (process:29387): WARNING **: error scheduling group 0x8f45410

and then the process ends abruptly, regardless of output sink.

Fairly confusing to me.  What other information, if any, would be
useful?

John Thacker