[gst-devel] amarok

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Mar 15 15:10:08 CET 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:31:42PM +0100, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> *) A desire from the development community for the framework to be used by KDE
> and the thing that implies (working with KDE developers, ABI/API stability
> throughout major KDE release cycles, etc.)

What is a major release cycle?  3.2->3.3, or 3.0->4.0?  If it's
the latter, I don't think there's much possibility in GStreamer
actively maintaining the stable branch that would be used in 4.0
until 5.0 comes out.  That could be potentially be several years.
Given the current state of multimedia frameworks, I don't think
it's wise to even _want_ a stable ABI for that long.

That being said, I hope GStreamer in 1 year is in the state where
we can be comfortable with a long-term ABI.

dave...