[gst-devel] thoughts on extradata

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Mar 18 05:34:45 CET 2004

Quoting Jérémy Simon <jesimon at libertysurf.fr>:

> For example, ffmpeg people just changed the SVQ3 metadata handling :( So
> we'll have to make some changes to qtdemux. The svq3 plugin expect the
> qt 'stsd' atom as extradata. Putting this into a *special* buffer is
> propably the easiest solution and we would handle codecs that need a
> palette from the demuxer like huffyuv.

There's a problem with this, too. You need a way to identify an extradata
buffer as an extradata buffer.
You must make sure that the extradata is sent when expected, you must define a
format for it and you must make sure every demuxer sends the extradata in the
right format.
You also need to define how extradata buffers are related to events and so on.

All of this was implicitly done by using caps.

Benjamin