[gst-devel] DVD Events

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Mon Mar 22 16:16:01 CET 2004

<quote who="Martin Soto">

> On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 23:34, David Schleef wrote:
>
> > (I realize we've discussed this before, I'm just being a blockhead,
> > and also wondering what the final decision was.)
>
> Actually, there wasn't a final decision. People made a number of
> suggestions, but I couldn't find a better solution, really. Also, as far
> as I know, Jan ended up also using events for his (now unfortunately
> lost) code. He can probably tell us more about that.

I'm pretty much in the same boat - we had some suggestions but the easiest
way to implement what we need for DVD navigation is still to use events,
event though it's a good argument that we should define a data format to
contain this information and use that instead. Perhaps we'll do that later,
but I'd like to commit what we have and rearrange it later if we come up
with a better way.

The data we're sending are the following "events":

"spu-reset-highlight" - clear the menu highlight
"spu-highlight" - colour palette plus highlight region for menu
"spu-clut-change" - provide a new colour palette for subtitle display
"spu-still-frame" - tell the SPU that the last frame is a still frame which
it needs to hold and redisplay on menu highlight changes (for example)
"spu-stream-change" - command to select a different subtitle stream
"audio-stream-change" - command to select a different audio track
"vts-change" - information that the VTS has changed.
"nav-packet" - information that the DVD VM has switched to a new nav packet.

Can we add the GST_EVENT_DVD?

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Unknown