[gst-devel] Decoupled elements and schedulers

Martin Soto soto at informatik.uni-kl.de
Sun Mar 28 14:48:05 CEST 2004

In last Changelog entry from Benjamin I see the following:

        * gst/gstbin.c: (gst_bin_set_element_sched),
        (gst_bin_unset_element_sched):
          don't add decoupled elements to schedulers - otherwise it's
          impossible to control if a link to a decoupled element was already
          removed from a scheduler or not.

I guess I don't really understand what the issue is here, but it does
break my new scheduler. I need queues to be registered with one
scheduler instance to be able to schedule their chain and get functions.
I'm creating cothreads for them both. Having only the pad links
registered is not enough, because in that case the cothreads will be
created, but they will never be scheduled since they are only eligible
for scheduling when the element goes to the PLAYING state, and I can
only know that, if the element is registered with the scheduler.

Anyway, I don't think it makes sense to have elements that are not
registered with any schedulers. A scheduler can ignore decoupled
elements if necessary, but the core should register them anyway.

Am I missing something here?

M. S.
--
Martin Soto <soto at informatik.uni-kl.de>