[gst-devel] Compiling Gstreamer for profiling

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Mar 29 01:23:06 CEST 2004

> Before i install the Gstreamer i wanted to confirm some points with
> you all. I would like to know the we need to compile the Gstreamer.

If you meant "do I need to compile GStreamer" then the answer is "yes",
since you want to profile it.  You'll need to compile it with the right
options.

>  My understanding is, Gstreamer is a library and this is installed on
> Linux. Also in "readme" file I read the Gstreamer need not be
> installed.

Each time I look at the README I cry.  Anyone have suggestions on what
really should be in there ?

In any case, wrt your question, it is possible to develop and run
against an uninstalled copy of GStreamer.  I do it all the time and for
quick fixes it is very helpful.

> My aim is to compile the Gstreamer along with my plugin and Gstreamer
> debug options. Then I would like to profile and debug the entire
> application. Especially i am interested in Gstreamer profiling. If i
> use tools such as gprof, this expects .c files. As Gstreamer is a
> Library i have a basic confusion that whether i will be able to
> profile Gstreamer. So I think i should not install gstreamer, but
> rather just copy the Gstreamer on my machine and use the C source file
> to compile along with my plugin source code. As i am new use of Linux,
> I beg your patience to clarify my doubts.

I haven't used gprof.  I guess you best first read up on the standard
profiling tools available on Linux and start there.  Basically it's just
a matter of a) compiling with the right options (check ./configure
--help), b) finding a good testcase that tests stuff you want to
profile, c) running and d) interpreting the resulting profile
information correctly.  But really, this is not something we can get
into in this mailing list, so you're better off starting with a good
linux book that covers profiling.

Thomas

Hold me in your arms
I want to be your only possession