[gst-devel] caps negotiation

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Mar 29 16:30:13 CEST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:55:19PM +0200, Daniel Gazard wrote:
> I don't know if my problem was really clear. Basically what I want is
> when the plugin behind my video sink is gstvideoscale, I give it a
> caps with a fixed resolution (equal to the maximal resolution
> supported by my videosink) to force him to scale up the video and in
> others cases (typically when the plugin on the other side of the pad
> is a video decoder) I give it a range of resolution and I adapt myself to
> video properties (by displaying just a part if the video resolution is
> higher than what the video sink can support or by displaying it in the
> center of the screen otherwise).

Writing elements (particularly sources and sinks) is not about
convenience for other elements in the pipeline.  If you need videoscale
for your sink to work, than you'll need to put videoscale in every
pipeline.  ximagesink adds a border around video streams because
it's a natural extension for a video sink that changes size.  If
your sink doesn't change size, it doesn't make sense to pretend that
it does.

GStreamer doesn't have an element that adds a border around an image
to change a video stream to an appropriate dimension, but one would
not be difficult to write.

dave...