[gst-devel] Re: Native Win32 build of GStreamer 0.8.1

Marc VanDaele Marc_VanDaele at Jabil.com
Fri May 7 01:41:04 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I'm a complete Linux newbie but I do have a lot of streaming experience.
I've been developing applications, components and part of the framework
of TSSA (Trimedia Software Streaming Architecture) which runs on Philips
Trimedia/Nexperia processors, mainly under psos.

We do anticipate building products using Linux in the near future so
I would like to get a deeper understanding of gstreamer.
I'm currently going through the documentation but I would love to step
through a dummy application (eg disk_source - disk_sink) to get acquainted
with the framework.

Given the posts below, I would expect this to be (almost?) possible.
I'm working under Windows2000 and using MSVC C++ .Net.
I would like to use this as a debugger but I have no problems in using
eg cygwin to build the application.

However, since I have no Linux expertise, I have no clue to how to
build such a gstreamer application.  Is somebody willing to help me out?
I guess I need to
1. retrieve gstreamer from cvs; I guess I need to install eg WinCvs but then
I'm lost
2. retrieve all libs on which gstreamer depends
	a. glib from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib/
	b. gobject from ?
	c. others?
3. cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com/
4. what is msys? something similar as cygwin?
5. I need to build it
	a. can I use the command below to build glib and the other libs?

I do have some questions already though
1. why do you provide so many convenience functions in the interfaces?
IMO, it clutters up the interface.  I'm always insisting on defining
primitive interfaces (unless there is a performance issue) and I'm
wondering what your rationale is for these convenience functions like
- gst_element_factory_make
- GST_CAPS_NEW
- gst_element_link_many
2. Why is Gnome opposed to using C++

Thanks in advance,

Marc

--
Marc Van Daele, Software Architect, +32 11 30 24 63