[gst-devel] making more object visible in the docs

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri May 14 09:04:21 CEST 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 14:15, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> I'm not sure we want thread and queue in there, because for a normal dev
> they're both just elements just like filesrc so they don't deserve their
> own pages.

As a "normal dev", I think core elements like filesrc, fakesink, etc. _should_
be documented in the API reference, preferably in a separate chapter of their
own.

Not only does that emphasise that those elements are part of the gstreamer
core and can therefore be expected to be present in any sane installation,
but it would also allow for examples and comments in the docs that point out
some of the neat things you can do with those elements and how to do it.

gst-inspect is great, but only if you already know what you're looking for.
For example, the 'handoff' signal is really extremely useful, but there is no
way to find out what it does just by reading the docs (as far as I can see).

Cheers
 -Tim