[gst-devel] oggdemux, chained streams and slow sources

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue May 18 11:43:09 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 06:47, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004, Colin Walters wrote:
>
> > Oh, I understand it's necessary on import, but playback is the case
> > where users will be annoyed by long delays.  Import happens in the
> > background, and it only happens once.
> >
> Unfortunately the auitoplugger does not know if you have information
> available and don't need it or if you're happily querying that information
> again.

Well, one thing we could do is have spider emit a signal whenever it
creates an element.  Then the app could set a property on oggdemux
telling it not to try to find the length, for example.  But that's ugly
:)

Is there a reason why we can't make the length calculation dynamic?  It
seems to me that applications will want to do a length query either
before the stream starts playing, or never.  Would you really want to
calculate the length in the middle of playback?