[gst-devel] GStreamer HEAD video playback funkiness

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed May 19 02:19:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 19:36, Peter Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else having problems playing back video with
> gstreamer/gst-plugins HEAD? For some reason GStreamer seems to think
> that all my video files are 16x16 or 1x1 -- this is what I get back from
> totem and gst-launch, at least. But
>
> $ gst-launch videotestsrc ! xvimagesink

Hi,

It's the currently broken caps negotation system.

For example,
 gst-launch videotestsrc ! ffcolorspace ! identity ! xvimagesink

will give you a 16x16 window.

I think David had ideas on how to fix it properly, because he's unhappy
with his rewrite too.  But I'm not sure where that stands atm, because
it's something that should be done sooner rather than later :)

Basically, inserting elements in a pipeline that do not of themselves
change the width or height should not affect the negotiation process
wrt. width and height; ie, negotiation should settle on the same width
and height as videotestsrc ! xvimagesink would settle on.

libgstplay might contain a workaround for this bug; in general,
libgstplay is a good testcase for what the core SHOULD get right, too
bad the core doesn't work well enough yet to support libgstplay
correctly :)

Thomas

Well baby let me shake it
If I can move it with you will you let me take it