[gst-devel] Simple window (GtkWidget) to play a movie

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Nov 8 06:41:13 CET 2004

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 11:41, Robert Roebling wrote:
[..]
> we are about to add a simple control for showing a movie in it.
[..]
> under Linux we'd like to use GStreamer. Is there a ready-made widget
> that is part of GStreamer that can be used for that or shall we rip
> GST-player apart and use the code to write our own control?

There's various widgets, all basically doing mostly the same thing but
all slightly different. GStreamer itself does not provide widgets
because we try to be toolkit independent. However, some of our video
sinks can be embedded in a XWindow using the GstXOverlay interface.
Totem, Gst-player, Aldegonde, Cupid and various other tools use this
interface. If you're looking for a ready-made-widget, Totem has
everything in it, including metadata integration and everything plus a
kitchensink, or maybe even ten of 'em. If you're going to maintain it
yourself and are looking for something more like example code, the video
widget in Aldegonde might be what you're looking for. It is clean,
small, simple and does little more than just showing video. It has
little features, but it mostly just meant as a testing and example toy,
nothing more. So it's up to you which if those you'd like to look at.

For links to these various tools (CVS, homepage), please see the
Applications page on the GStreamer website.

Goodluck,
Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>