[gst-devel] Transcoding with gstreamer

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Nov 25 11:53:03 CET 2004

Hi David,

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 19:22, David Given wrote:
> On Thursday 25 November 2004 13:56, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> [...]
> > $ gst-launch-0.8 $muxer name=mux ! filesink location=$outfile { filesrc
> > location=$infile ! $demuxer name=demux ! { queue ! $decoder !
> > ffmpegcolorspace ! $encoder ! queue ! m. } { demux. ! { queue !
> > $adecoder ! audioconvert ! $aencoder ! queue ! m. } }
>
> Thanks.
>
> Should that initial name=mux be name=m instead? But otherwise, that's scary,
> but surprisingly straightforward. Since it doesn't need to run in real time,
> do you still need the threads? Would it improve throughput to use bins
> instead?

No. It'd probably hang. The queues provide a buffer for slight a/v sync
issues. Imagine the muxer pulling data from the video side and the
demuxer pushing data on the audio side: bad, bad, bad! The queues give
you some safeguard here.

> I seem not to have mplex. I do have system_encode, but that only produces
> MPEG1 streams.

Install mjpegtools, and compile the mplex plugin in gst-plugins.

[..]
> Should I upgrade to the latest CVS?

Before reporting bugs? Definately.

Ronald