[gst-devel] gst-register

Thomas Kuleßa tkulessa at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 21 10:13:16 CEST 2004

Am Do, den 21.10.2004 schrieb Daniel Stodden um 15:46:

> there is already a huge number of prepackaged plugins available. apt-get
> one or all, cd to /var/lib/dpkg/info. grep for gst-register and copy the
> relevant parts from the .postinst and .postrm scripts.
These are all part of the "offical" gstreamer plugin release. So they
are all in /usr/lib/gstreamer/. Sure I can put my plugins there too, but
what's the point of a registry if everything goes to the same place
anyway?
gst-register has a "--gst-plugin-path" parameter (which isn't used in
the postinst scripts your are refering to) exactly for this...
as far as I understand it.

> i must admit i'm not aware whether it's possible to
>
> b) install to a private location, create a private registry and merge
> that with the global one at runtime.

At the moment each call of "gst-register" recreates the registry
completly. Perhaps "gst-plugin-init" would be a better name.
Do you see my point? At the moment you would have to keep track
of all your "gst-register --gst-plugin-path=..." calls,
otherwise a "registration " call erases previous "registrations".

thomas