[gst-devel] Re: DirectShow conversion to Gstreamer

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sun Oct 31 23:50:56 CET 2004

Larry Berlinski wrote:
> Anyone know if Gstreamer has been attempted on Windoze?

I was browsing gstreamer.net again to try to find any information about
the Windows port. Nada, Zero. Neither in the news, nor in the FAQ or
even in the downloads.

It appears to me like you are trying hard to not the world know there is
one. Maybe because you are afraid of bad reactions from the Linux side ?
Am i getting paranoid ?

Guys, to make this clear one and for all time :

Our plans to use Gstreamer as the underlying multimedia framework for
matroska, similar to what Quicktime is for MOV or what Video for Windows
is ( was ) for AVI are getting less and less likely. robux4 and the rest
of the team are working hard on the implementation of our menue system
right now, and we were hoping Steve's hard work on porting Gstreamer to
Windows would raise people's interest in the meantime, and some guys
would start using and imporving it, or add video/audio sinks so that we
could try to motivate player devs to build their apps on Gstreamer
instead of Windows.

If you dont communicate that there actually IS a Windows port existing,
how could people know about it then, and start contributing to it ? We
wanted to contribute to gstreamer with the port, hoping it would take
off so that gstreamer could become a viable alternative to what we are
trying to achieve. But please bare in mind, that doesnt make robux4 a
gstreamer dev, caring full time about the port. He is leading his own
project, and pushing it forward is hard enough. Dont expect him to give
up on matroska and invest all his free time into the port. Its about
time you guys start feeling responsible for the Windows port, and react
accordingly. Just my 2 cents ....

Best regards

Christian
matroska project admin