[gst-devel] The Future of RTP

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Sun Apr 3 14:38:25 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 23:20 +0200, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 21:47, Zeeshan Ali wrote:
> > > All this is OK, but one condition: RTP streaming in totem just works. I
> > > don't care how or what or why or when, but in the end, totem should be
> > > able to open rtp://something if I click on such a link on a website and
> > > it should just work.
> >
> >    I didn't really get it? You mean, it works already for all media
> > types and I shouldn't change the RTP plugins such that it breaks the
> > totem? Or you are begging me to complete all the RTP work so that
> > totem can use it? :)
>
> I'm begging you to make it work. Pretty please? :).
>
> Ronald

For totem, what you need a working rtspsrc.  This could use an external
library like live.com or ffmpeg's rtsp support to start with, but
eventually use working rtp support existing in gst.  Wim suggested doing
an rtspsrc with an intelligent bin (i guess one similar to playbin, but
just one that does necessary rtsp crap and plugin in the relevant
rtp->codec frame decoder).  This could then be easily used in playbin as
well as totem.

--
Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas at merali.org>