[gst-devel] The Future of RTP

Zeeshan Ali zeenix at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 22:12:19 CEST 2005

Hello again,

> How about using GstEvents encapsulating rtcp messages, as a) rtcp is not
> a continuous media stream and b) rtcp messages are usually congestion
> control events or traffic statistics messages.

   Maybe? But you are still thinking of an RTP sink? because
udp/tcp/etc sink handling rtp/rtcp events is nothing we would like,
would we?

> >    Well the packet encoders can tell the peer sink element to wait for
> > any amount of time using the timestamps on the buffers it pushes
> > towards it.
> >

> well theres already a timestamp on the buffer, the rtp sink should use
> this and cached info of when the last packet was sent as well as
> congestion info deduced from rtcp to decide when to send the new packet.

   Yes, but there is nothing stopping the rtp encoders to calculate
the timestamp on it's out-buffers anyway it wants/needs to rather than
just copying the timestamp from it's in-buffers. is there?

Regards,

Zeeshan Ali.