[gst-devel] RTP work

Flavio Oliveira flavyobr at yahoo.com.br
Mon Apr 11 08:28:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

> Now, obviously many payload decoders will share similar features, e.g.:
>
>  - Buffering
>  - Delay calculation and management
>  - Packet reordering
>  - Packet dropping
>  - RTCP awareness for synching streams with wallclock and assigning
>    Gstreamer timestamps.

The delay ensure that the media streams at its natural rate. This is
expecially important when media is being streamed from a file. For MP3
data the clock rate is 90kHz so if, for example, packet 2 is to be
played out 0.1 seconds after packet 1, it would have a timestamp exactly
0.1 * 90000 = 9000 units larger than that of packet 1.

How does it work the delay in the RTP Plugin?
Can I set this property for each kind of payload?

Flavio