[gst-devel] merging elements in plugins

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Apr 11 09:34:18 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 17:10, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> So, before we do all this work that still seems rather pointless,
> shouldn't we first see if there's a real problem to solve ?

Let's say that I have a certain application that requires GStreamer to
start instantly. I mean instantly, not "instantly". It's good for Totem,
but I'm talking about something else here. Now, I could use static
linking and that's fast and nice, but I wouldn't mind doing something
else and thereby doing something that may be useful for GStreamer at
large, too. The registry was a good first step at making initialization
fast, and the next step is to make pipeline setup fast (Wim already made
plugging fairly fast, saves me one step :) ).

Sure, it's not critical, but most user-visible crashers in Totem are
fortunately solved by now. Next, I care about user experience.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>