[gst-devel] Non-seekable getrange

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Apr 18 05:23:16 CEST 2005

Hey Andy,

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 13:15, Andy Wingo wrote:
[..]
> and that
>     getrange(pad, -1, size, &buf)
> mean to get the next SIZE bytes from the pad.
>
> Furthermore, an element should be able to set a CONTINUOUS_GETRANGE flag
> or so

So, logic-wise, what's the point of replacing get/pull + bytestream with
getrange then? You're basically back to original behaviour, but with a
nicer implementation. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, btw. However,
it's a change from what I understood the original purpose of the
function was.

Next step is that we recognize that things like CD, DVD and VCD reading
are better done block-wise, we re-implement a block-to-byte cacher like
bytestream to easify getrange implementation and then where are we,
exactly?

What are you guys aiming at? What kind of data will be processed by
getrange-based elements? Only raw file data? Audio data? Video data?
Anything? It's getting fuzzy for me.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>