[gst-devel] gst-ffmpeg vs ffmpeg

Jaap Haitsma jaap at haitsma.org
Tue Apr 19 10:33:39 CEST 2005

Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Jaap,
>
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 22:44, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
>
>>With totem + gstreamer-ffmpeg 0.8.4 cpu usage is 100%
>>With ffplay only 30%
>>Why is this?
>

> Depends on arch, versions, package, etc. And yes, we currently eat more
> CPU than mplayer, although a ~350% increase is ridiculous, I agree. Some
> more info may help to pinpoint the problem.

Hi,

I'm running Debian Sid on DELL laptop PIII 750MHz.
Of ffmpeg I have the following installed
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/ffmpeg
I've got the gstreamer-ffmpeg of ubuntu installed
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/libs/gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg

For the rest (totem gstreamer) all the debian unstable packages

I just repeated the experiment with a mpg movie from a camera
load with ffplay 25%
load with totem 75%

Jaap

BTW is there anyway of configuring gstreamer such that it will use
mpeg2dec i.s.o. ffdec_mpeg2video or vice versa??