[gst-devel] linking elements

Tristan Van Berkom tvb at gnome.org
Wed Apr 20 08:32:53 CEST 2005

Stefan Kost wrote:
> Hi Tristan,
>
> you need a bufferframesconvert element inbetween. Buffer-frames=0 has a
> special meaning (autosize the buffer).
> I've missed that one too.

Hi Stefan,
     Firstly, thanks for your reply ;-)

I'm not so clear on why a buffer-frames-convert element is
nescisary if audioconvert supports:
     "buffer-frames: [ 0, 2147483647 ]"
and ladspa supports:
     "buffer-frames: [ 1, 2147483647 ]"
then why would a "buffer-frames=0" situation be nescisary ?

(assuming that audioconvert accepts values other than 0, which
is what the caps imply).

Also, is it nescisary to add another buffer-frames-convert
element between `ladspa' and `alsasink' ?
(since alsasink supports: buffer-frames: [ 0, 2147483647 ] also)

Inserting buffer-frames-convert like so (as you sugested):

filsrc|mad|audioconvert|buffer-frames-convert|ladspa-vlevel-stereo|alsasink

helps to pass the link phase, but the app still chokes on
gst_element_set_state (...PLAYING) (debug output says that <alsa-sink>
failed to negotiate pads while trying to set state PLAYING).

Also, adding another buffer-frames-convert between the ladspa &
the alsasink elements chokes the same way, only it chokes on
the buffer-frame-convert element.

I'm attatching a log file of --gst-debug-level=3 output of my
program incase it helps.

Cheers,
                         -Tristan