[gst-devel] 0.9 status

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Aug 24 06:23:53 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 11:46 +0200, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like us to do a release before we start on the split up process
> as that it could quickly be a few weeks before the new modules are
> functional

It's a few hours work, it won't take weeks.

> So if there are no arguments against it I will roll tarballs of
> gstreamer, gst-plugins-base and gst-plugins today and do a release of
> each.

I *don't* want a gst-plugins release going out because no such 0.10
module will ever be released.

Also, we were waiting on a) having some apps be updated to work with 0.9
and b) the plugins splitup to do a new release.  If those requirements
for the release are changed, we can do a release sooner.  But just don't
make a release out of the blue.  Let's set a date - say, monday - for
the release, so people can settle down on their work.

>  In fact I would like to do this on a weekly basis for the 0.9
> series so that we get updated code out there more quickly and widely.

Weekly is too much - it will confuse people.  We should release
snapshots of code that have achieved something, so we don't force the
work of figuring out which random combination of code works on the
hapless happy people that want to try stuff.

Thomas

Anything for a lover
anything for a friend
I only wanna see you happy