[gst-devel] jpegdec segfaulting

Henry Gomersall whg21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 3 02:18:03 CET 2005

I am attempting to write a photo slideshow program using gstreamer (dead
simple - drag in photos, drag in sound track, click go).

Unfortunately I'm having some pain trying to set up the gstreamer
pipeline.

The jpegdec plugin doesn't appear to do what i expect it (or I am being
stupid). I'd appreciate some help diagnosing and fixing the problem.

The following pipeline opens an xwindow of the same size as the image
and then segfaults. Am i missing something obvious?

gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=working_image.jpg ! jpegdec ! freeze !
xvimagesink

In addition to this, apparently perfectly reasonable jpegs refuse to be
decoded at all. Images from 2 different cameras and freshly generated
images in the Gimp have returned the following 2 errors:

gstjpegdec.c(522): gst_jpegdec_chain: /pipeline0/jpegdec0:
Error #61: Invalid JPEG file structure: two SOI markers

gstjpegdec.c(522): gst_jpegdec_chain: /pipeline0/jpegdec0:
Error #68: Unsupported marker type 0x%02x

I can't work out the cause of the problem. The images that work were
also generated in the Gimp. I can open and resave the working image and
it still works. It doesn't appear to be a function of quality or size.

Below are links to 2 images taken on the same camera and resaved in the
Gimp to the same size, one that works and one that does not. The working
image has been manipulated somewhat before saving.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~whg21/images/not_working.jpg
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~whg21/images/working.jpg

Hopeful thanks,

Henry