[gst-devel] Capsfilter and partial fixate bug ? patch comments ?

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Sat Dec 3 02:26:04 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 16:22 -0500, Antoine Tremblay wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I've come up with the following problem I got something like  "filesrc
> location="file.in" ! audio/XXX ! plugin ! fakesink"
>
> Plugin can take audio/XXX,var=x ... So i'm partially setting the caps
> with the caps filter
>
> The problems seems to be that they caps are never fixated , my fixate
> function in my plugin isn't called nor is my setcaps... and filesrc
> pushes me a buffer with caps = NULL :(

It is entirely expected that filesrc pushes buffers with no caps - the
data coming off disk is just a stream of bytes, and the type of data
they represent is completely unknown. The caps setting code in
capsfilter is there purely as a method of letting you 'force' caps onto
the buffers that filesrc is producing, which is why it requires you to
completely specify the caps.

Capsfilter should not just fixate to a random set of caps and hope for
the best. If you really want to force this behaviour, you should gt the
allowed caps from the source pad, fixate it outside the stream and then
apply those caps to capsfilter.

Regards,
Jan.

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net

Open Source Software: Free as in Free Speech, not Free Beer