[gst-devel] doing 0.10 releases

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 16 06:13:17 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

So, with 0.10.0 out the door, and some nice new fixes in CVS, I want to
discuss our release approach for the next few months.

Here are the things I definately want to do:
- as in 0.8, decouple release dates for the various modules as much as
possible
  - maybe core and -base should be released together, maybe not
  - maybe bad should be released with ugly/good when elements have
moved, maybe not
- have something new to release biweekly or weekly
- do prereleases that float around for a day or three before doing a
final release, so people can test and prepare packaging
- release Fedora packages on the same day
- (hopefully) have more packagers release together

Feel free to comment on any of these.

Now, in practice, I'd like to either:
- prerelease on mondays, release on thursdays
- prerelease on thursday/friday, release on mondays

I guess the biggest question is - do people prefer working on the final
release and testing prereleases over the weekend, or during the week ?

As an aside, I'd like to start rolling a first set of prereleases either
today or monday.

Thomas

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star in someone else's sky
but why oh why oh why
why can't it be mine ?