[gst-devel] Proposal for XML Description File for Plugins

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Feb 8 23:49:31 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 01:03, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> No, but I missed the part where you explained why it's not possible to
> do it any other way.  Such as putting relevant details in a
> well-structured format in a separate file that can easily be read and
> parsed automatically, without waiting for an hour-long build of the
> source tree that may or may not fail with errors (such as when trying
> to build sunaudiosink).

How about not doing it automatically? The XML tree can live on its own,
and be a source of cached information on its own, but it'd be nice to
have some kind of relation between plugin and XML, still. Can you parse
the output of "gst-inspect mad" (see gst-inspect for a full list of
elements) to relevant information, for example? Looks easier than the
source extraction already. Now, point being that I cannot update the
sunaudiosink XML file, but I can change the mad one, and others can
update the sunaudiosink plugin.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>