[gst-devel] Proposal for XML Description File for Plugins

Darren Blaser darrenb at extendedsystems.com
Thu Feb 10 23:37:16 CET 2005

Thunderbird crashed on me while spell checking a longer version of this.
Anyway here's the short version:

I noticed this project was defined on
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/tasks/gstreamer.html.

The only item that might be nice for you to have further clarification
on IMHO is what are folks goals and expectations for this little project.
1) Who is the target audience for the element status table(s) you are
creating, other developers or end users?
2) And what exactly do folks hope it will be used for? PR(look what we
support)? developer education (look at this nice table view of all our
elements and how they fit together)? A totem user finding a missing
plugin is the only explicit comment I recall in this area and that came
from the page listed above.

It would be nice for you to know what goals or objectives people might
have in mind for this. My personal take is that it's main use would be
as a technical PR and education piece targeted at developers and
technical media product evaluators to highlight the list of stuff
gstreamer supports.

3) This is minor and a bit of an aside, but should this project be
considered an end unto itself or a stepping stone on the path to an
improved error handling mechanism in gstreamer itself? It seems to me
that if one of the goals of this is for this to be a stop gap solution
of sorts for totem users and the like to go find missing plugins and the
like, it would be MUCH better to have totem just say directly to the
user you are missing plugin x, go to y to download and install what you
need... I had a random thought that perhaps this status table could be a
way to collect, update and get a working maintenance process around some
of data you might need to improve gstreamers error handling for these
error cases...

With an understanding of folks goals and usage expectations I'd just
build a starting list of data items from the few items that have been
mentioned here on the list and in the project definition page (above).
Then ask one of the existing developers already in the know (or post to
this list) to find out which items you might have a prayer of extracting
from existing source. Then I'd get busy with a first pass at a prototype
script that would grab some data and build a table which could be
reviewed to collect feedback on and start the feature refinement
process. I'm a big believer in first understanding expectations, then
releasing early and releasing often...

Best Regards,

Darren

PS. Wow even the short version ended up rather long...   I must be a
windbag of sorts.   ;-)