[gst-devel] Network sound

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 08:08:02 CET 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 15:00, Gideon Romm wrote:

> The folks at Gnome just informed us about the future plans for both KDE
> and Gnome to drop support for their respective network sound architectures
> in favor of directing sound to gstreamer.  So, I'm here to ask, what's
> the status of network sound within gstreamer, and what can I do to help
> it along?
>
> In an LTSP environment, running a sound daemon on the thin client and
> redirecting sound from the app server to that daemon is currently our
> method for supporting local sound, and it works quite well.  Many of
> users will be extremely disappointed to lose this functionality.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but what exactly would change for a setup like
yours?

Can't you just configure $sound_daemon_of_your_choice (esd, nasd, whatever) as
default audio sink for Gnome/KDE (e.g. via gstreamer-properties), setting the
right environment variable to specify on which host the sound daemon is
running? (or set it directly as audio sink property)

Cheers
 -Tim