[gst-devel] GStreamer and libcdio?

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Tue Jan 4 07:32:29 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 08:36 -0500, R. Bernstein wrote:

*snip*

>  > gst-plugins/sys/vcd/.
>
> Cool. Like the unconditional: #include <linux/cdrom.h>
>
> I don't see code to handle VCD entries let alone the more
> sophisticated things like VCD segments. But then, technically-saavy
> you is happy with that -- so I am too.

You are correct, the VCD element is quite basic in featureset, and is
linux specific - it's only built if the linux/cdrom.h file is available
on the system, so yes it's unconditional in the .c file. I guess no-one
has cared enough to correct that situation.

libcdio sounds like a good library that gstreamer might want to use,
after I go and wash out the bad taste you've left with your handling of
this conversation.

I believe the original contention was that totem/aldegonde contain some
code for detecting that a DVD disc inserted actually contains DVD Video
format data so they know which type of GStreamer/xine playback to
initiate when the user chooses 'open disc' from the menu. Do xine and
vlc contain code for this, or is it handled some other way?

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <thaytan at noraisin.net>