[gst-devel] various questions about GStreamer elements

Thirupathiah Annapureddy writetothiru at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 22:45:14 CET 2005

Hi All,
We are evaluating GStreamer to fit our audio hardware acceleration
support efficiently into GStreamer framework by developing custom
plug-ins. I have the following questions about GStreamer.

1. Is it possible to create explicit threads in GStreamer framework?
If so,do we need to use posix threads or GStreamer threads? This is
required because, our hardware gives the asynchronous notifications to
the plug-ins.we need a seperate thread to wait for these
notifications.

2. Is there any existing support for Acoustic Echo Cancellation(AEC)
in Gstreamer? we have support for AEC at hardware level. If we have to
exploit this feature in GStreamer, what are the possible options?
As of now, i thought of two options. First one is to make it as a
seperate AEC element, but the playback stream can be from some other
framework like ALSA. Second one is to provide it as a object property
on the capture element so that it can instruct the driver to add AEC
at the hardware level since the driver knows about the playback
streams from all the frameworks. how efficient is this solution?

3. Is it possible to pass custom events from one element to other
element if they both of them know what the event meant for?

Thanks in Advance,
A. Thirupathi Reddy