[gst-devel] Passing Custom Events

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jan 26 05:07:01 CET 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Thirupathiah Annapureddy wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have developed two basic elements src and decoder specific to our
> hw. They use normal gst provided logic to pass data when they are
> connected to non-custom elements. When both of these are connected, i
> want to exchange some unique information between them so that data
> flow is handled entirely at hw level.
> I thought of sending a custom event from one element to another
> element to exchange this unique information. To create a custom event,
> should i extend GstEventType or i can use any event# higher than
> GST_EVENT_TAG.

If you want to create custom events, you should use GST_EVENT_ANY and use
a unique name for the GstStructure in that event.
Off topic: Your idea of extending the enum doesn't work, because if
someone else has the same idea, you get a collision.

OTOH I'm not sure you want to use events here. Wouldn't it be better to
negotiate the link between the two elements to a different format (say
"application/hw-passed-stuff") and just pass control information over
that link?

Benjamin