[gst-devel] gst-player configure problem

Robert Osfield robert at openscenegraph.com
Sat Jan 29 06:23:04 CET 2005

Thanks for all the replies.

On Saturday 29 January 2005 12:45, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> Compile will always be somewhat demanding in that the number of
> dependencies is big, and will grow over time, since that's the part of
> the point of gst-plugins' existence -- to make plugins that make use of
> code out there.

I have no great problem with gst-plugins having lots of optional dependencies,
its the number of must have dependenices, including with just build tools
that is excessive.  If you are gnome developer you may have all this stuff
already, but if you're not, well you face a seriously uphill struggle, I know
I did, and I'm a full time open source developer.

> But even so, it's not impossible to do -- I am running
> Debian system myself (which includes gst packages, I admit, but I don't
> even remember how they look like ;) My daily gstreamer copy is built
> from CVS checkout to allow hacking, and all I can say is that I didn't
> have any unsurmountable problems with building. So it can be done. One
> thing I'd recommend is to stick to distro packages as much as possible
> when installing support libs, sometimes they are heavily patched
> compared to upstream versions, especially in things like .pc files and
> such.

I have where possible tried to obtain things striaght off my Suse9.0 DVD, but
for many things I had to trawl the net, and compile things from source.

> All mentions of gst-player should have been removed from site, and
> bugzilla product removed. If you find any stalled references, it's a bug
> to be fixed.

Its the online documentation which provides many references to gst-player,
this is why I tried to get it working.

A google search with :

	gst-player site:gstreamer.freedesktop.org

Bring up a number of references, you'll need to was through the referneces to
the tarballs, and you'll eventually find the doc references to it.

> As to bare-bones reference code, there's Aldegonde. But try
> totem, it really is _the_ gstreamer player right now, and pretty much
> serves as reference about how to playback with gst.

I tried totem but alas could get it to compile due to gtk+ problems, yesterday
I tried to get gtk+ installed but from my distribution DVD but no joy, and
trying to compile gtk+ from source wasn't happening either.

I'll download Aldegonde and see how I get on.

--

w.r.t libart, I installed this from Suse 9.0 DVD, but didn't have the
required .pc so I resorted to the source code, but couldn't track down a

If someone has a link to official website for I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Robert.