[gst-devel] A Couple of Questions

Philip Alldredge ilovepolymorphism at softhome.net
Thu Jun 16 11:59:28 CEST 2005

Hello, I'm new to GStreamer and new to linux programming in general.
I ran into a few questions/issues while working on my project so, I
have a few questions.

1.) I'm using the decodebin. The new-decoded-pad signal does not get
fired(what's the correct term?) until I set the state of thread to
PLAYING. Is there any way I can get this event to fire without
playing it?  Is there any way for me to detect the number of streams
(audio, video, etc) a source has without playing it or is that just
the way it is?

2.) Let's say i setup a pipeline/threads to play a audio/video stream
and I decide that I want to play 2 seperate parts of the same stream
at the same time. Is this possible?  Is there a better way than
simple creating to pipelines/threads to play them? I'm guessing there
is not but I thought I'd ask just in case there was something I missed.

Please help me if you can.  Oh and BTW-GStreamer rocks! The C API is
easy to use even for someone like me who's kinda got in the habbit of
writing everything in Java and C# :-D.

-Philip