[gst-devel] RFC: A Timeline

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sun Jun 26 23:10:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 01:44, MDK wrote:
> I'm thinking about the ways to implement a "Timeline" in Gstreamer (many
> clips aligned in time at given positions) I know we have gnonlin
> (probe_fired based) but I'm wondering if there are better ways to do
> that.

Not really, and you mention the reason yourself:

> Possible disadvantages:
> 	* Performance. All the clips are itarated, even if they're not used.
> It's a dummy iteration (without any data processing), but might be a
> significant overhead (let's imagine I have a movie composed of 100
> shots...)

It really just doesn't scale.

>        * Is it actually possible to push "no data" on a pad?

Yes, using filler events. We use that for subtitles.

Back to the topic, I'd suggest to just go with gnonlin and fix those
parts buggy or missing. Doing twenty slightly different timeline
implementations doesn't help anyone.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>