[gst-devel] Re: dparams roadmap (AKA dparams are dead, long live control pads)

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Thu Mar 3 06:29:31 CET 2005

Hi Edward and others,

another problem if we use gobject properties for the dparams:

multitrack/voice elements

That are instruments and effects, that share a set of parameters a and repeat a
set of parameters b for each track/voice.
A track or voice is realized by looping in the data processing methods and
summing the output.

example: synth
paramset a contains e.g. oszillator, envelope, etc.
paramset b that is repeated for each voice contains pitch, volume

That is where we hit the limmits of gobjects property-system. One can install
class properties, but not remove them. I've asked on the glib mlist and they
don't sound like accepting a change there.

My conclusion therefore:
We might want to add dynamic properties to gst-elements, that exist in parallel
with the normal properties (like style properties exists in gtk+ in parallel to
normal properties).

Then normal properties would be for static settings. GstEnvelopes/GstController
objects could only be attached to dynamic properties.

Ciao
   Stefan